Are you thinking about selling your Orlando home? Most likely, you are going to have some competition in your area. It may require some work on your part, but in the long run, a little work can get your house sold fast! House Solutions USA has put together some great guidelines on how to set your home apart when you are ready to sell in Orlando and Central Florida.
Address The Senses
Subconsciously, potential buyers will use all 5 senses in their decision on whether or not to make an offer on your home. Obviously, you will want the visual appearance to be impressive, but you will also want to think about what these potential buyers will hear, smell, taste and touch.
- What they hear… play appropriate background music during open houses. If you live in a younger, trendy neighborhood, play something more current. If it is an older neighborhood, classical, big band and the standards can be a great choice.
- What they smell… you don’t want to overpower your home in fruity odors. Some people can be hyper-sensitive to smells, and you don’t want to drive anyone away before they get to see your home. With that in mind, consider fragrances that are appealing to everyone. Everyone loves freshly baked bread or chocolate chip cookies. Or if you choose to use a candle or incense, keep in light and with a mild fragrance, but don’t go overboard with anything too harsh. Many people like Vanilla or Citrus scents.
- What they taste… as mentioned above, the smell of baked goods is universally enticing. Maybe you coincidentally have some cookies baking, and have some other hors d’oeuvres available. People may not remember the color of your master bathroom, but they will not forget an amazing brownie that they ate.
- What they touch… your potential buyers may not physically touch many items in the home, but the things they do touch should feel great. Think of the bath towels, door knobs, handles on cabinets, glasses, and faucet handles. These things should have a “good feel to them.” If the master bedroom has a bed in it (ie it’s not empty), think about covering with a luxury comforter and huge feathered pillows. Similarly, use comfortable decorative throw cushions on the sofa. Think of the touches you would discover in a high-end hotel, and incorporate these things into your house.
Focus on Your Curb Appeal
If the exterior of your house is not enticing, people will not even stop their car to see your home. You’ve probably heard the phrase, “don’t judge a book by its cover,”; this fit perfectly to house-shopping. This is the Buyer’s first impression and the first opportunity to fall in love with your home.
- Mow the lawn, weed the garden and keep it regularly maintained.
- Power wash the exterior, and paint if only necessary. By doing the work yourself, you will save a ton of money and completely revitalize a worn out facade.
- Fix your fixtures. Mailbox, door knobs, address numbers should all look clean and bold.
- Make sure the furniture is clean, rust free and flows with the exterior of the home.
Make it A Party Instead of Another Boring Open House
So many open houses are all the same. And the odds are, your potential buyers have been to a few of these already. Consider making it more of a cookout by hosting it in the afternoon or cocktail party by hosting it in the evening. This will not only be memorable to your guests, but it will allow them to get a sense of what living in the home will really feel like.
Entertaining friends, serving great food and creating so much fun within the home, that people don’t want to leave is a great way to sell your Orlando home fast!
Don’t Take It Personal…
Yes, you want to make your home feel like a home…inviting and cozy, FOR THE BUYER. When people see your family photos on the refrigerator, or see a mess of mail and bills on the desk, they are going to feel as if they are intruding. Pick up the personal items and clutter and hide it all away while buyers are in your home.